Remedial Massage Therapy
Remedial massage is the assessment and treatment of muscles and connective tissue to assist in pain relief, injury management and rehabilitation. The biggest difference between remedial massage and relaxation massage, such as you would receive from a beauty salon or day spa, is the training required to become qualified as a remedial massage therapist.
Remedial massage Therapists study the pathophysiology and illness process. Sound knowledge of anatomy is the basis for safe and effective treatment.
Remedial massage benefits can include:
- Decreasing pain, both acute and chronic e.g.: headaches, lower back pain, muscle tenderness with sports training
- Prevention and management of soft tissue injuries
- Release of muscular tightness and tension
- Improved recovery time for athletes
- Removing toxins that can contribute to muscle tightness
- Alleviate muscle tightness resulting from sustained and/or repetitive positioning such as sitting at a computer for extended periods of time
- Stress relief
Due to the treatment nature of remedial massage, they aren’t always relaxing, and each person will experience a recovery period post appointment. Depending on the type of work done and the treatment of deep tissue, there may be discomfort up to 24 – 48 hours afterwards. You may experience pain/tenderness, stiffness, fatigue and light headedness. To optimize your recovery and the benefits of your massage, as well as elimination of toxin build up, we suggest the following:
- Drink at least 2L of water daily
- Avoid alcohol for at least 6-8 hours post treatment
- Refrain from vigorous activity for at least 24 hours post treatment
- Have a warm bath or shower
- Use heat packs/wheat bags on painful areas
- DO NOT RE-MASSAGE the area as it may cause further inflammation
Regular massage can assist you to live the life you want by helping you achieve good muscle health, while decreasing muscle tension and tightness that is an increasing by-product of our busy lives today. Regular massage along with physiotherapy treatment, can help compliment your Enhance Physiotherapists treatment plan outlined for you to better manage your condition.