Enhance Physiotherapy is pleased to offer our patients treatment options for sports injuries. Sports Injuries occur during exercise or while participating in sport. These injuries can happen at any age a junior netballer, weekend warrior, elite athlete or even the elderly lawn bowler.
You are at risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play contact sport – due to the element of uncertainty i.e. player contact; players falling onto one another
- Haven’t been regularly active
- Don’t warm up properly before exercise / don’t train regularly
- Change in sports code
Different sports involve different muscle contracts, velocity of movement, change in direction, other athletes and even weather so there are a range of sports injuries that can occur:
- Sprains – overstretching or tearing the ligaments results in a sprain. Ligaments connect two bones together
- Strains – over stretching or tearing muscles or tendons result a strain. Muscle turns into tendon to attach muscle to bone.
- Knee injuries
- Hematomas – muscle bruising (cork)
- Achilles Rupture
- Rotator cuff injury
- Ankle injuries
- Cartilage tears
- Spinal injuries
- Many more and not limited to above.
At the end of the day a sports injury is an injury received while playing a sport or exercising. At Enhance Physiotherapy we have experience in treating and fast rehabilitation in all sports injuries and have a goal centred approached to getting you back to exercise and sport as quick as possible.
What to do if you get a Sports Injury
For us as physiotherapists and health care professionals we follow the latest research and don’t R.I.C.E a recent injury….use P.E.A.C.E and L.O.V.E it has been shown to lead to increased recovery and optimize healing:
- P – Protect (splint, tape or brace or protect the injury)
- E – Elevate
- A – Avoid anti-inflammatories
- C – Compress
- E – Educate
- L – Load
- O – Optimism
- V – Vascularisation
- E – Exercise
Immediately once you receive an injury its best as the athlete to do NO HARM:
- H – No HEAT
- A – No ALCOHOL
- R – No RUNNING
- M – No MASSAGE
Initially make sure you do Rest it (tape it); Ice (to reduce swelling); Compress (bandage or skins/2XU); Elevate and refer onto Enhance Physiotherapy so we can practice PEACE and LOVE to optimize healing.
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of the following after an injury:
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of sensation/feeling in any part of your body
- Loss of movement
- Spinal injury
- Difficulty breathing
Serious sports injuries can require surgery and physiotherapy. If the injury doesn’t heal within two weeks, it’s best if you contact Enhance Physiotherapy or your doctor.
Benefits of Enhance Physiotherapy
At Enhance Physiotherapy we have connections with imaging centres and some of the best and most experienced orthopaedic specialists in Perth. If required, we can act fast and organize imaging/scanning and appointments at short notice.
Have you got a sports injury and want to return to sport or exercise as fast as possible? Feel better booking in at Enhance Physiotherapy knowing you will receive the treatment and rehab you need to achieve your goals quicker with less risk of re-injury.