What is remedial massage?
Remedial massage is a form of bodywork used to identify and repair damaged areas of the body and increase the body’s own healing processes.
A skilled RMT plans to identify the reason for the tension and pain, treating both the cause and the symptoms.
What’s involved in remedial massage?
A range of techniques involving deep compression of local nerve and hypersensitive areas in muscles.
This can aid the release of toxins, relieve muscle and joint tension, and help pain management by way of stimulating the release of endorphins.
Passive or facilitated stretching is applied and recommended in order to lengthen the soft tissue, therefore preventing further tension and pain.
What are the post remedial massage effects?
In the initial 24-48hrs after your treatment Individuals many experience the “Healing Crisis” which includes the following symptoms:
- Pain/Tenderness & Stiffness
- Light Headedness
- Insatiable Thirst
- Increased Urination
- Emotional Upsets
To reduce the severity of these after effects it is advised to do the following:
- Drink at least 2 litres of water daily.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 4-6 hours post treatment.
- Refrain from vigorous activity for at least 24 hrs post treatment.
- Elevate your feet above your heart. Relax and Meditate.
What are the health benefits of remedial massage?
- Stimulate the blood supply
- Releasing muscle tension and pain
- Increase joint mobility
- Aid the repair damaged tissues
- Improves posture
- Immune boosting and increasing circulation
- Stress reduction and heightened alertness
- Improves skin tone
- Relief from chronic complaints
The overall aim of the RMT is to provide balance to the length, tone and tension of muscles and tendons, which restores the correct position of the bones, increases blood flow and helps heal injuries.
In conjunction with a team of Physiotherapists and Exercise Physiologist at Enhance Physiotherapy, a skilled RMT such as myself will formulate the most ideal treatment plan and provide the highest level of care to those in need.
Apart from being a RMT for the past 16yrs, here are 5 things you might not know about me:
- Has a partner for 20yrs and two gorgeous girls, 5 and 7yrs old.
- Favorite fitness activity is swimming and walking.
- Avid reader and movie/doco buff, esp crime thrillers and suspense.
- Enjoys giving others energy healing using the benefits Reiki and Chakra Balancing.
- Loves to go out dancing as it’s grounding and good for the soul!!
RMT at Enhance Physiotherapy Mandurah – to book an appointment with Briella call our clinic on 9583 5165.